When you envision your wedding day, you usually picture a relatively tranquil day. There might be a few minor snags and stressful moments, but by and large the day proceeds through its timetable of events without anything getting seriously messed up. You hope for the best and try to plan for the worst and generally everything gets done, with the result being a wonderful celebration with family and friends that ends with you blissfully married.
Unfortunately not every couple is so lucky. We’ve all seen the videos on television capturing sticky moments and embarrassing mishaps on wedding days. Sometimes the completely unexpected occurs and shoves its way rudely into center stage at your wedding. Users of the social media sharing platform Reddit have submitted some of their most awkward or horrible wedding moments, and the results are pretty hilarious. We share the top ones here.
1. “I got hypothermia during the outdoor photography and missed the reception because I was in the hospital — with my brand new wife, who was still in her wedding dress.”
2. “My mum’s best friend (and maid of honour) showed up the day of my mum’s first wedding with her head shaved. Apparently she was in love with the groom and this was her silent protest. The marriage only lasted 2 years and the groom eventually married the maid of honour.”
3. “My Dad played in a band at a wedding where the bride’s uncle dropped dead in her arms on the dance floor. Talk about bringing the party to a halt.”
4. “The only mishap at my wedding was a friend videotaped the whole thing, but accidentally used the night vision feature. The video is pretty surreal, with everything super overexposed. With my pale skin, I ended up looking like aliens.”
5. “I worked as a wedding decorator for 5 years, and while this is not my own wedding, it’s still pretty bad. Two years ago we did the decor for a really pretty ceremony, and halfway through the day we found out it was a ‘surprise wedding’. Basically, they were not engaged, but the bride planned the whole thing and the groom showed up at the golf course thinking he was just playing a regular round of golf. Nope. He walked into his own wedding, saw her standing at the altar, and peaced the f*** out. I’ve also seen weddings where fist fights break out and we’ve had to call the cops. There was another where one of the guests was smoking inside and caused a fire, causing the entire wedding to evacuate into the rainy parking lot. Those, and countless glasses of wine spilled on wedding dresses. That happens … a lot.”
6. “My 3-year-old brother got loose and pulled the fire alarm during the ceremony. They definitely got their ‘memorable’ moment.”
7. “My wife and I eloped overseas, but there was a party for family and friends when we got back. My family insisted on traditional speeches, which was our downfall. My father repeatedly called my wife by my ex’s name and had to have it repeatedly pointed out to him before he corrected himself.”
8. “Not me but my wife’s sister … Her new mother-in-law dropped dead of a brain aneurism during the best man’s toast. It was one of the worst things I’ve ever experienced. They served food for those who wanted to stay but it pretty much ended there. Sadly they never got a proper wedding reception.”
9. “When my mum and dad were set to marry (before I was born), my dad got there early to make sure everything was setup and to help with final prep of everything and my mum was sent to pick up the cake. She says that when she got to the church and saw all the cars and people, she couldn’t handle the pressure and just drove home without saying anything. Dad comes home, after the wedding had been called off due to her no show, to see mum in the kitchen eating the wedding cake. They didn’t last long after that.”
10. “I was hospitalised and in emergency surgery 3 days prior, which is only a funny hurdle that’s now a great story. As for ruined? I eloped in jeans in a bar and my mum was, and is, still pissed. No regrets except telling her when I did.”
11. “50% of the people who RSVP’d didn’t come. My brother-in-law who volunteered to DJ didn’t actually bring any DJ equipment, so our reception was powered by Pandora [a free music-listening service]. He also said he would video the ceremony and highlights of the reception but didn’t bring his video camera. My immediate family was late to the wedding, including my sister who was a bridesmaid, and my mother and father. The florist forgot to deliver about 50% of the flowers. It didn’t go great, but my husband and I ended up married and we’re still very happy together, and that’s the most important thing.”
12. “The worst thing I saw was the wedding planner showed up drunk and/or high and disappeared with the best man (brother of the groom) to go hook up. So no one was in charge and the ceremony had to be delayed while people went to find the best man. He also couldn’t be found for his speech. The DJ delayed several times.”
Laughing yet? If you need more you can always view the full thread at Reddit.
What’s your wedding horror story?? Bunches Direct and I would like to hear about it! Submit your description to [email protected] We will share the best ones in a follow-up blog and on our Facebook page. Can’t wait to read them!!